Sunday, October 18, 2009

10 K

I had forgotten to bring an umbrella with me today. I had a cap that a student gave to my dad, two bottles of sunscreen, and an extra granola bar, but I didn't know that a) the weather would be so warm in West Hollywood, and b) that I'd actually walk the entire 10 kilometers that constituted the length of AIDS Walk LA 2009.

I almost didn't go; after I finally told my mom all the reasons I should go, she relented to let me spend an unknown number of hours on Sunday, October 18, participating in AIDS Walk as an officer of Key Club with treasurer duties.

It's been a while since I last woke up at six AM and the sun hasn't quite dawned yet. I hurried a breakfast down and met up with my two friends, the only other people who registered to go, at our high school at 7:30. My dad also sacrificed his Sunday to go with me, and eventually it was decided that he would drive all three of us there and back.

The sheer number of people staggered me: some 40,000 people were there today to walk the ten kilometers. Some were sponsor members, such as Target; some were fraternities and sororities (zeta pi rho); schools; other Key Clubs; individuals, etc. Our team was Division 25 West Key Club, and we changed into our new, bright blue Key Club t-shirts. Our mascot this year is the Pufferfish. Don't ask.

Signing up lasted from 8:30 to 9:15, at which time the Opening Ceremony commenced. My dad, my friends, and I walked over early and got close-up views of the people giving their spheel to everyone about AIDS Walk. They included West Hollywood's mayor, LA's mayor, Craig Miller, the founder of AIDS Walk, a representative from the White House, Tony-award-winning singer Andrew Lloyd Young (I think), actors and actresses from TV shows like "Desperate Housewives," "Star Trek," "Twilight: Eclipse," and even Michael Jackson's sister (not Jenny Jackson). A lot of times celebrities endorse these events to get overly self-promotional attention, but without these celebrities there to cheer on the cause, events like these may not get as much attention as it deserves. The actor from Star Trek, however, was different (he's the old, asian commander with a cool, deep voice).

Context: West Hollywood has a rather prominent gay population. Since AIDS apparently has this stigma of being prevalent among gay people, AIDS Walk has become another venue for demonstration.
The commander from Star Trek spoke not only for AIDS, but primarily for gay rights. My dad said that he was invited to talk mainly because he is a celebrity who is openly gay.

"I am a happily married, gay man." is what he said, which I find so courageous and amazing for him to say to the world. He also mentioned his husband, who couldn't be there today because of a family emergency in Arizona.
There were a good number of gay people there today. I couldn't really perceive it as much as my dad might have because I was more focused on keeping up with my division group, which wouldn't stick together no matter what. A young man who apparently stars in the Twilight saga: Eclipse wore a turquoise shirt that had ♂♂ symbols printed on it. Wow. I felt a little sorry for the female population because he was pretty good-looking, but the feminity in his face might make him appeal to another man as well. I don't know. I don't really know these things.
I saw a male couple holding hands. Both were macho-looking men too. Near the end of the walk there were several drag queens (with pot-bellies) who had thick white makeup and crazy getups on. Many people took pictures with them.

More interesting, however, was the anti-gay protests. As we rounded the first corner, a group of middle-aged white men (next to ten policmen) were holding up signs that denounced homosexuality, saying how it was a sin and that people should go read the Bible. People booed them, made hand gestures, and replied "[the Bible]'s too long!" I don't mind gay people much, but I also didn't like the booing. I thought the anti-gay people were also being very courageous and were good people just with different opinions. "This can only happen in California huh" I thought to myself. It made me glad to live in America.

Besides walking 10 km almost nonstop for the first time, I also sampled the taste of "Cashew Fruit Juice," walked past an "Adults only" shop for people with costume fetishes, had yogurt from a tube-like container, and ate an In-and-Out double-double burger (on the way home).

It was certainly a very refreshing experience. I think it's very good to do this kind of thing at least once in one's life, though why we should is a question I still have to mull over a little. It added to my world-life experience, for one. It showed me some instances of political demonstration and a social issue over which there is a lot of controversy today. It was physically strenuous (my legs are so sore). But it was also fun; walking and belting out cheers with thirty other people wearing the same t-shirt certainly makes for fun memories. And at the end, as my legs were just about ready to collapse from exhaustion, we all got our very own Certificates of Completion!

More about life again later.

~Heidy

2 comments:

  1. Pufferfish!

    But yea, I know what you mean about events like this. There's a certain energy in the air, something about being part of something bigger than you. And with so many people about, you see a new thing every five minutes..

    It's a lot of fun, especially if you bring friends with you. Hm.. bring me along to the next one? I've never been in something that big before.

    ReplyDelete